Arthroscopy or keyhole surgery is the minimal Lee invasive procedure on a joint. It is usually done to treat injury to the joint but it can also be used as a diagnostic procedure. Like an endoscope arthroscope is inserted through a small incision and it is often called keyhole surgery. The main advantages of arthroscopic surgery is our
- reduces trauma and blood loss
- faster recovery time
- Excellent cosmesis
The most commonly Performed arthroscopic surgery is our on the knee joint and the shoulder joint. It is sometimes also performed on the hip and the rest.
The main indications for arthroscopic surgery in the knee are
- Ligament Reconstruction: ACL reconstruction is the most commonly performed surgery In the knee. Usually it happens due to injury during contact sports or it can also happen in road traffic accidents. Patients usually exhibit instability in the knee while running or walking. We perform about 50 arthroscopic ACL reconstructions in an year. Patient usually starts walking on the same day after the surgery and is usually discharged after 48 hours. With the advent of bioabsorbable implants no matter is kept in the body.
- Meniscal injuries : Meniscal injuries are usually caused by trauma or because of osteoarthritis. They can often be associated with ACL injuries. Arthroscopic meniscal repair and partial meniscectomy are usually performed in such cases. We performed about 40 meniscal surgeries in an year.
- Diagnostic arthroscopy as well as arthroscopic debridement are also performed regularly.
Shoulder arthroscopy has advance remarkably in the last 5 to 7 years. Most of the open surgeries for repair of Rotator cuff tears and instability Now performed arthroscopically. This has reduced the blood loss and improved functional outcome is due to minimality shoul now performed arthroscopically. This has reduced the blood loss and improved functional outcome is due to minimal tissue damage. Early recovery and strength ensures is desirable outcome especially for sportsperson.
- Rotator Cuff Repair: Rotator cuff tear are common in the elderly population and young athletes. It usually leads to painful moments of the shoulder and difficulty in certain overhead sporting activities. Diagnosis is established on an MRI. Rotator cuff repair even for last year’s gives an excellent result.Patients usually get back to normal activities in a month and can resume all there are sporting activities in about 3 months.
- Instability Surgeries : Shoulder instability usually happens due to the recurrent shoulder dislocation or in sports person involved with throwing activities. Arthroscopic repair of the ligaments Superspecialist procedure and ensures early functional rehab.
We perform approximately 40 shoulder arthroscopies in an year.